100% Copper Advantages
SPOT 5 DIFFERENCES
AN INTELLIGENT BUYER’S CHECKLIST
An Intelligent Buyer’s Checklist for a Long Lasting and Durable Split Air Conditioners:
- Star Ratings.
- Right Tonnage for your Room Size.
- Copper Tubes in Indoor & Outdoor Units and Connecting Tubes.
- Reliable Brand.
- Price Range.
A Thumb Rule to select right capacity AC for your room size
|AC Capacity (Mumbai)||Floor Area|
|3515 Watts (1 Ton)||100 sq.ft. to 120 sq.ft.|
|5275 Watts (1.5 Ton)||150 sq.ft. to 175 sq.ft.|
Actual heat-load study is recommended to ascertain the correct capacity
WHY CHOOSE 100% COPPER ACs
Choice Of Metal Used In The Condenser Coil – For A More Cost-Effective, Eco-Friendly AC
BEFORE YOU BUY A SPLIT AC THIS SUMMER, THERE’S SOMETHING YOU SHOULD KNOW.
Q.1. Which part of the split air-conditioners have copper tubes?
A. Tubes in the following three components need to be made of copper:
- Copper tubes in evaporator of indoor unit
- Copper tubes in condenser of outdoor unit
- Copper tubes as connecting pipes between indoor and outdoor units
Q.2. What are the advantages of having all copper tubes in split air-conditioners?
A.Copper has been a proven metal for all types of cooling and heating appliance for decades. Some of the key advantages are:
- Corrosion Resistance: Copper as a metal lasts long in corrosive environment as compared to alternative metal used in air conditioners. Corrosion takes places in area prone to salty air which is typical of coastal region, dust and pollutions, and fumes from sewerages.
- Easy to Maintain: Outdoor units are prone to dust and dirt accumulation which needs to be cleaned periodically. A fully chocked condenser can be cleaned completely with water pressure in case of copper tube condenser which is not case with alternative alloy condenser or non-copper condensers. The design of alloy condenser is such that there is very little gap between its tubes and fins. Hence cleaning the dust, impurities and pollutants accumulated require very high pressure to clean completely. However, using high pressure leads to damaging the tube and fins which are made of very thin and delicate alloy metal. This is the key reasons why alloy condensers leak and need replacement in a span of three years. The accumulated impurities also hamper the heat transfer capability of alloy condensers and thus decreases its energy efficiency.
- Long Term Star Level Efficiency: Air conditioners come with star rated Indian Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (ISEER), which has been standardised by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE). Therefore, an AC with more stars will consume lesser electricity than one with a lower star rating. However, long term energy efficiency of the air conditioners also depends on the kind of metal used for heat exchanger in the outdoor units. Due to the design of alloy condensers, there is impurities accumulated between its fins and tubes which cannot be cleaning without damaging the condensers. These impurities hamper the heat transfer co-efficient of alloy condenser leading to drop in energy efficiency. This is proven by several lab tests done in India as well China. Energy efficiency or star labelling of a non-copper AC drops by 27%-30% after a salt spray test of 1,200 hours whereas the efficiency of a copper AC drops by only 15%-17%. In simple words, a non-copper Star 5 AC becomes Star 1 after three years whereas a Copper Star 5 AC becomes a Star 3 in three years’ time frame.
- Repairable: In case of leakage in condenser or connecting tube made of copper, it can be repaired on-site by the service mechanic. On the other hand, condenser made with alternative metal cannot be repaired and must be taken to workshop or replaced thus depriving of cool air till the machine is put to operation after repair or replacement.
- Low Maintenance Cost: All the above reasons make copper AC work much better and it requires only two regular service calls in a year. However alternative alloy or Non- copper AC needs extra care and require 4 services in a year. Apart from this as per market trend, non-copper AC’s condenser fails in every 2-3 years on average and needs replacement. On the other hand, copper ACs doesn’t need condenser replacement or repair and can run without any issues for more than 5-7 years.
- As copper is corrosion resistance and can be cleaned easily, it is more durable and maintains the energy efficiency in the long run. Overall, considering the above points, the total cost of ownership for five years of Star 5 Copper AC is ₹1.5 lakhs and that of Star 5 non- copper AC is ₹1.72 lakhs.
- Copper ACs are less harmful to the environment: Non-copper ACs are prone to leakage every 2-3 years releasing harmful refrigerant such as R22 and R410A into the atmosphere. These refrigerants have harmful global warming potentials. On the other hand, cases of refrigerant leakages in copper ACs are minimal which makes copper ACs less harmful to the environment.
Q.3. Why are the air conditioning systems in automobiles are made of alternative metal and functions with limited issues?
There are several reasons for having condensers made of alternative metal in automobiles. First, the fraction capacity in terms of tonnage is much smaller as compared to room air conditioners. Second, the refrigerant used is of low pressure and thus there are low changes of leakage. Third, the condensers in automobiles are kept in a totally enclosed box thus protecting it from outside impurities. Last, it is easier to take an automobile to a workshop and get the faulty condenser repaired during periodic service.
|Key Attributes||Copper Tubes in Indoor & Outdoor Coils||Alternative Metal in Outdoor Coils|
|Long Term High Energy Efficiency||✔||✗|
|Durable & Longer Life||✔||✗|
|Easy to Maintain & Clean||✔||✗|
|Corrosion Resistance from coastal, polluted, dusty and tropical weather areas||✔||✗|
Look for similar Cu stickers on Air Conditioners while buying ACs this Summer
Several Brands are doing Self Copper Branding
Tips to Maintain your AC this Summer
India’s economic growth has empowered the average middle-class family to afford a comfortable and healthy lifestyle. Air conditioners, once considered a mark of luxury have now become easily accessible to middle-class. They are found in every Indian household, in both metro and non-metro cities.
With the introduction of new technology, health benefits and energy efficiency, consumers have become aware of the need for an AC. Today they have a wide-range of brands and product offerings to select from.
It is essential to keep in mind some important points, while installing air conditioners at your home:
- Air conditioners should be installed where there is enough space for maintenance. If it is installed in a cramped space, the maintenance would be difficult which would eventually hike the electricity bills.
- It is necessary to install the unit under a shaded area as it will prevent direct sunlight on the air conditioner.
Basic Parts of Split Room Air Conditioners
The main function of air conditioner is to maintain comfortable indoor environment. Air conditioners deliver comfortable indoor environment by delivering the following three functions:
- Maintaining comfortable room temperature
- Maintaining humidity levels
- Evenly distributing air across the room
- Delivering filtered pure air inside the room.
Air conditioners rely on the fundamental property of gases to cool the surrounding air. As the pressure on the gases decreases, they expand and cool; increasing the pressure makes the temperature rise. These changes can also be called as evaporation and condensation. Thus, the two components of split air conditioners are known as evaporator unit (indoor unit) and condenser unit (outdoor unit).
THE OUTDOOR UNIT
The outdoor unit of split room air conditioners contains the most important parts of split room air conditioners such as condenser, condenser fan and compressor amongst others.
Function of a compressor in air conditioners is very similar to a human heart. It compresses the refrigerant by increasing its temperature and pressure before sending it to the condenser.
The high temperature and high pressure refrigerant from the compressor comes in the condenser where it has to give up the heat. Condenser coils typically made of copper or other metals that easily transfer heat. Your air conditioner runs more efficiently when excess heat leaves the system quickly, so keeping the coils clean will lower your utility bills and lengthen the lifespan of your air conditioners. Outside units are susceptible to collecting dust, pollen and other debris, but they are easier to clean than interior coils. Keeping the coils clean is vital to proper heat exchange. When dust and debris collect on coils, the particles form an insulating layer that prevents refrigerant to condense. It is very important to note that it is very easy to clean condenser coils made of copper tube and aluminium fin due to its design. On the other hand, cleaning a coil made up of alternate materiel is really difficult and this leads to dust choking, gas leakage and drop in efficiency and thus affects the life of the room air conditioners, increases your electricity and maintenance bill.
Condenser Cooling Fan
The heat generated within the compressor has to be thrown out else the compressor will get too hot in the long run and its motor coils will burn leading to complete breakdown of the compressor and the whole air conditioner. Further, the refrigerant within the condenser coil has to be cooled so that its temperature becomes low enough to convert the gas into liquid form.
The connecting piping which connects the indoor and the outdoor unit is made of copper tubing. The refrigerant at low temperature and low pressure leaves the capillary tube enters the evaporator or the cooling coil at the other end.
The connecting tubing is made up of copper since it is highly ductile and malleable element. The copper tubing can be easily bent as they are flexible enough so they can turn into angles and connected easily. The copper tubing used for condenser and evaporator facilitate high rate of heat conduction.
INDOOR UNIT (EVAPORATION UNIT)
Functioning of the indoor unit results into cooling effect inside the room. The connecting tube supplies liquid refrigerant to the evaporator coil through expansion device called capillary tube. The hot air from the room passes through the evaporator coils leading cooling effects. The evaporator coil is a copper coil made of number turns of the copper tubing with one or more rows depending on the capacity of the air conditioning system. The cooling coil is covered with the aluminium fins so that the maximum amount of heat transfer takes place and room is delivered with cooled air. Your AMC service provider cleans evaporator and condenser coils and thus enabling it to perform at its best.